Roths allow earnings to accrue 税 free, I’会相对节省更多的体彩官网金，我赢了’t pay 税es on withdrawals in retirement.
But one thing those facts typically overlook is a very important individual variable: your actual income and 税 bracket now vs. your expected income and 税 bracket in retirement.
Why Tax Brackets are Key in the 罗斯vs.传统 退役ment Account Debate
Remember that 罗斯401Kand 罗斯IRA contributions are post 税 – meaning that your contributions are 税ed in the year that you make them (vs. 税 free until withdrawal for Traditional 401K and IRA contributions).
我的猜测是，此博客的大多数读者最多只能看到25％或28％ 税 bracket (22% and 24% post 税-reform). As the U.S. 税 brackets are progressively laddered, you pay the 税 rate on income that falls into that bracket. 的 result is that many of us are paying an effective 税 rate on 罗斯401Kor 罗斯IRA contributions of 24% on the portion of our income over the 24% ladder. At the lowest, many of us would be paying 22% on those contributions.
我不’t know what you expect your 税 rate to be in retirement, but that’IRS锁定率很高。为了使Roth成为更好的选择，您必须对自己保持乐观’ll fall in to higher 税 brackets in retirement.
那 probably will not be the case for most. Consider that:
- 社会保障 只是作为一种补充，而不是主要的收入来源，其未来的全额还款能力受到了威胁。
- 75％即将体彩官网的人（50-64岁）的体彩官网帐户开始时的存款少于30,000美元。 $ 30,000或以下不是 ’t exactly going to be pushing anyone into higher 税 brackets.
- 的 体彩官网赤字 between what Americans have actually saved for retirement and what they should have saved for retirement is already $3.83 trillion. 那’3.83万亿美元的未来收入’t there to be 税ed.
- 的 trend of 税 rates has been downward. When looked at 历史上, 税 rates are near the lowest they’ve been since 1931. It seems unlikely that 税 rates would go significantly higher from here given the political climate.
In 要么 der to make more income in retirement than you are making today (to push you in to higher 税 brackets), think of what has to happen:
- 您 ’我们将不得不大大超过通货膨胀率，获得接近历史市场回报的收益。
- 您 ’不必提早提款。
- 您 ’在大多数情况下，都必须保持100％的投入才能获得这些回报。
In light of all of that, when you consider that the 税 paid now for Roth contributions is a guaranteed rate (for most of us at 22% 要么 24%) vs. uncertain future 税 rates, it should really make you question whether Roths are the smarter option for you.
当Roth 401K和IRA被批准并在他们的传统亲戚加入后加入体彩官网帐户之后，IRS可能会解决＃’并意识到他们’d be making more 税 revenue off of the population, as a whole, with Roths. If the IRS is good at anything, it’s crunching numbers. Why else would they give us the option to avoid paying future 税es?
I’我不是说罗斯不’t make a lot of sense for a lot of people. I personally maintain a 罗斯IRA and for those who consistently save at very high levels for retirement and invest it wisely, Roths can be a 税-safe haven in retirement. Additionally, if your income is above the 罗斯个人体彩官网帐户和传统体彩官网帐户的收入限制， 一种 后门罗斯IRA （如果遵循适当的预防措施）可能是明智之举。
那里’s no reason you can’t do both, either.
However, before you go all in with Roths vs Traditional retirement accounts, you should give your present and future income, 税 rates, and goals some serious thought.